August 21, 2015

August 13, 2015

Shepherds Bush August



Took a break from Betsy Davis sampler to work this little one up for the month.

July 29, 2015

Betsy Davis sampler fill in tip.




The fill in I used two strands. The borders and strawberry band are
alternating half stitches over one. If you look close you see the stitches run
the same direction on the same rows vertical and horizontal.
Easy to keep correct by just using the vertical threads.
So one direction up and one direction across on the same row
will help you keep correct. I went up the stitch going from
bottom left to top right then came back down next row going
top left to bottom right staying on the vertical threads only. 


Betsy Davis sampler update Full View




the colouring is dark. The fabric is actually a light natural 25 ct linen

Betsy Davis update



I didn't like the satin stitches for leaves around the Queen flowers. Frogged out and replaced with Queen stitches like other Balch samplers I've seen.  I took out some of the old leaves I did and redid them.

 







Far left tree has V and L  symbols and hard to distinguish on the chart.
The leaves are L and branches V













Everything complete except the filling in which is taking as long as the sampler.

July 12, 2015

So here's the final deer


Last time I can redo. My threads underneath are weakening so this I'll live with.

Betsy Davis update

So I ripped out my deer. Redid it then it looked like a moose.

June 26, 2015

Betsy Davis by The Scarlet Letter revived




After attending a class on Sally Munro by Margaret Hogue of the Essamplaire I remembered having a Balch sampler in progress.  So I hunted thru a plastic tub I had all my "lost in progress" projects in. These are things I started and hated or started and got bored with. It mainly needs the saying, midsection finished and all the fill in. There's a band of strawberries to go across the bottom and of course my name and date (whenever that shall be)


Here's the sampler I started late 80s or early 90s. I remember now why I stashed it.  

 Here is a link to the original. 
Boston Museum of Fine Arts






My tree at the top looks almost like a snake. The heart didn't call for the outer  heart to be filled in but I liked it better stuffed. Again 25 yrs ago I was pretty laxed in my stitching. I hated I wadded it up in a plastic bag and tossed it aside because it is a beautiful piece. I am keeping it out and going to finish it. I hope the contrast of my current skills doesn't clash with the old. It's hard not ripping it out but ain't gonna happen! I will just be thrilled to get her done.





















 First I kept redoing the free hand. Everything looked funny. After a while I was like whatever. The fabric in the kit was 25ct and when I started the "over one" I hated the coverage of one strand. The black looked alright but the others I switched to two strands.

One of my ladies I thought looked like a puppy. But didn't want to rip it out and weaken the linen.


Top right

Bottom Left
Bottom right
right mid

I redid my deer twice and to me still looks like a donkey. With the link to the original I'm going to try again. 
This is the only colour picture you get to compare to.



The chart itself was horrid. It was hand written and a lot not " in squares" so had to focus on placement. Of course this was the late 80's and not much computer generated charts put yet. She tells you to pretty much do it your way but the X stitches had to pretty much stay in place. I tried to look at the picture but it’s a SMALL picture. I love that Margaret took close up photos of Sally. It's hard to look at the cover on this one and get any concept. I was unsure of the thickness of some of the stem stitching and satin but decided oh well it is what I say it is.
But anyway, I am going to finish it then hopefully still want to do the Sally Munro from my class. It looks about the same so I should be in practice after this one.

June 13, 2015

Sampler Guild Spring Retreat





Our Sampler Guild summer retreat was a wonderful day. Sharing good food and conversation with friends plus lots of stitching. These are the goodies we got and smalls we finished. The Sampler Grows by The Scarlett House will be our summer project. It's a wonderful design by Tanya Brockmeyer.  The theme was flowers and bugs. Got this wonderful wooden carrier and bee fob and needlebook. It was a glorious day. Thank you Sherry B for your great job putting it all together.